Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Value of...








So I'd been struggling coming up with a lesson about value for 1st grade, and I decided, what they hey, we'll look at Chuck close and make some thumbprints. Well, they love it! This was really just a practice lesson but they are actually following the concept, and it only takes one day. I would like to have this turn into something more long-term, worth hanging on the fridge at home, but I'm still workin on that. I just gave each table a large stamp pad and told them to stamp once after putting their finger in the ink, then stamp again and again without putting their finger back in the ink. The result was a 1st grade style Value Scale!



Also, the 2nd Grade Chihuly- Inspired sculpture turned out great. So great in fact that one of the PTO volunteers asked if it could go in the silent auction in December. But I have bad news. Somebody broke it. :( So now it's in several large pieces that I will have to work some hot glue gun magic on in the next few weeks. But here's a photo of what it looked like while it lasted. If I'd had a string of white Christmas lights to put inside instead of the single light bulb, I think that might have looked better. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.


7 comments:

  1. I am hoping you will be able to glue the pieces together. Beautiful sculpture!

    By the way, I love the name of your blog.
    It has a Greek root, Artos means bread and potami means river. Bread and water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually somebody knocked it off that table and it's totally unfixable now. :( But thanks. I really was just making up a silly word that was fun to say, but I do like the roots you mentioned. Never really thought about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is the sculpture made from? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made of melted plastic cups. I have a whole post about it here: http://acquiringexpensivehobbies.blogspot.com/2010/09/chihuly-inspired-sculpture.html

      Delete
  4. I would love to read more about the sculpture as well! What are the materials, the process etc. Can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted all about it here: http://acquiringexpensivehobbies.blogspot.com/2010/09/chihuly-inspired-sculpture.html

      Delete