Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sketchbook Update

I love using the sketchbooks!  Today I decided to try having them out while I'm introducing a lesson and asking the kiddos to take notes.  EVEN THE SECOND GRADERS DID IT!  First grade did, too, but not to the extent of the older ones, of course, since the littles are still learning to write.  But hey, now I am helping to improve LITERACY!  Woohoo!!

As I was going through my slide show, I wrote on the board a few very simple notes about our topic, and I had them copy down the objectives for the project too.  (In our district, we call objectives "I CAN Statements.")  So for my Keith Haring  project, the I CAN statements were:  I CAN make patterns using lines.  I CAN show MOVEMENT in my art.  I CAN talk about the artist Keith Haring. 

I made sure the kids knew how to "Draw with Good Purpose."  This is derivative of the Quantum Learning Key of Excellence about Speaking with good purpose, i.e. not interrupting, using kind words, staying on topic, etc.  So drawing with good purpose means not wasting paper, using it for practice and kind things.  I really emphasised using ALL the space on a page, even if you had to turn it sideways.  I showed examples of lots of sketchbooks from many artists, including Leonardo DaVinci.  So we had a good long discussion about how to use the sketchbooks.  THEY ARE NOT BOOKS FOR FREE DRAW.  My oh my.

Look what they did!


I'm so proud!



2 comments:

  1. Nice. What kind of sketchbooks are you using? I hope to one day have real sketchbooks, until then we'll keep stuffing our portfolios with loose pages ;) I'm doing Haring right now too, a great season opener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2nd - 5th graders have brad folders with blank pages, and the Kinders and 1st graders have little books stapled with copy paper inside. I've got photos if you click the sketchbook link in the beginning of this blog entry, and scroll down. So far I am very pleased, and 5th grade was really receptive to everything as well.

    ReplyDelete